Saturday, March 20, 2010

Crops in the Ground!


Over the last few weeks our team transplanted over seven thousand seedlings, built over 16k of beds and busted their tails getting our early spring crop in the ground.
Props to Shawna Woods, Antwon Jones, Brandon Hughes & Tom Hearty for their great attitude and hard work, it would not have been possible with out them. I have heard many farmers lament the difficulties in finding good help. We have had success in finding help using craigslist and recommend it across the board. Leveraging online resources is one of our farms core methods and so far, it has worked. The LOCAL folks we hire are quick studies and hard workers. Props to craigslist.org for making it so easy.

We have started the seeds for the rest of the summer crop and plan on filling out Fred’s rows in April. The weather has been fantastic to date and most of our seedlings are doing well inside Fred. On these sunny days, Fred is a toasty 85 degrees and the young ones seem to like it. I have never watched the weather like I do now; I use the Vilonia AccuWeather 15 day and Weather.com 10 day outlook for my temperature forecast and the Cabot Weather.com 10 day outlook and hour by hour for my rain forecast. All of which does nothing to my chances of weather having a negative affect on my crop, but at least it keeps me busy worrying.

Well I hope this next round of weather is uneventful. I am listening to Bob Marley’s “No Woman No Cry”, Who does not love an 8 bar bridge of “Everythings Gonna Be Alright”? I think I will try out my baby spinach this eve, quality controlling the crop is a tasty responsibility that is a priority with me.

5 comments:

  1. Kelly! Great stuff. Love the blog. Cheers from Denver!

    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see your place. I'm working to fit it into next week's schedule.
    I had some of my greens for dinner last night.
    They were perennial greens-blood sorrel mixed with wild chickweed. I feel my blood getting stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to find your blog! I dearly love fresh vegetables and since I do not have a garden.....
    Do you post when crops are ready for purchase?
    Do you only sell at markets or from your location?

    ReplyDelete
  4. kelly - Just wanted you to know that I've started a Real Food blog for Little Rock and added your blog/farm in the left column. Hope it will bring more traffic your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh - the blog is: http://realfoodlittlerock.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete